Monday, September 01, 2008

Dumpster diving


Living in the city of Denver, we have an alley behind our backyard, and instead of having a trash can to take to the curb, we share a dumpster with the neighbors. Sometimes people will set out things in the alley they don't want, but that someone else might want.


A month ago or so, Kevin was throwing away something in the dumpster, and came and told me there were some things in the alley I should come look at to see if I wanted. (Nope, I'm not above snagging free stuff out of the alley.)


I totally scored a set of 8 Pottery Barn plates for the kids! They're blue on top, brown on the bottom, and they have cute little frogs on them! They're in great shape, and the kids get SO excited every time they get to use them.
Three cheers for dumpster diving!

9 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

amen sister! Apartment living for us was very profitable, we've gotten everything from a glider rocking chair in perfect condition to unwanted christmas gifts that were chucked. I figure, if it's on top, easy to get too and not dirty ... might as well!

Kristen Borland said...

super cute! and that's pretty awesome. mike's grandpa is a huge dumpster diving fan, and he usually scores pretty big--of course he lives on balboa island, in newport beach. you'd be shocked by the things thrown away there!

Kristen said...

Good for you! I'm truly shocked at some of the things people throw away. With so many thrift stores around these days, you think maybe they could make the small effort to donate the items so that someone else could enjoy them! But i digress...I figure if millions of poor people around the world need to dig through trash just for *food* or other necessities, than i certainly wouldn't be above snagging a few plates, myself!

Laurzie said...

COOL! I'd dive for those, too!

Unknown said...

very cute! i'm totally not above that either... we've scored a tiny pink bike, large wicker basket for holding stuffed animals, a picnic basket, and several other things over the years by dumpster diving.
Dive on, sister.

Lisa Leonard said...

those are darling!!

shell said...

I am amazed at what people throw away!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like someone said above, it would have taken 5 minutes to drive to Goodwill!

Christy said...

Dumpster Diving! Yeah! What do you mean "I'm not above that" ... looks like pretty much everyone is "not above that", including me, so I think dumpster divers should be the "norm" and those that DON'T, should be below us.

Brianna Heldt said...

ha christy, you are right--they ARE below us! :)

just to clarify--the plates weren't IN the dumpster, they were next to it, in the alley, so someone WOULD take them. (so technically we didn't really have to dive.)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com