Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Exciting new opportunity

I am so excited to share that I've decided to accept a volunteer/staff position with an amazing organization, From HIV to Home! It was founded last year by my amazing friend Jennifer and aims to:

partner with in-country, community-based HIV+ orphan care sites
and connect waiting HIV+ orphans with adoptive families.

Pretty neat, huh? During my journey over the past three years or so, this is something I have become quite passionate about and I feel truly honored to get to be a part of it. I'm the Campus Relations Coordinator and I cannot wait to see how it all plays out. Not to mention I'll get to work with some pretty great people, some of whom I've worked with before.

As many of you know I was previously volunteering with another organization (that is doing vital, amazing work in Ethiopia), AHOPE for Children, but there have been several changes in the last few months and I'm not really doing that so much anymore (save for tying up some loose ends.)

At any rate, I'm excited. I cannot tell you the brokenness I feel when I think about the many HIV+ children living without families in developing countries. It is heartbreaking. I also cannot tell you the joy and hope I feel when I see some of these children being united with families through adoption. I am blessed to know many of them personally. Orphan care and the issues surrounding it are complex, but at the end of the day, if I can make a small effort to make a small difference, I want to do it. We all can do something. Really.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes. (I am hesitant to even blog this since I haven't technically done anything yet!)

4 comments:

From Diapers To Dorms said...

Congratulations Brianna and From HIV to Home! I am sure that everyone involved will do great work together. Having been a longtime supporter of this type of work and having the academic and professional background I do, I have really been wanting to find an opportunity like this myself, but unfortunately, my city is not really globally-minded or geared toward anything social welfare related. Good luck. I know you'll do a great job!

Shonni said...

I'm very excited for you...may the LORD bless your work for His glory!

from HIV to Home said...

Hooray! Welcome Brianna - we are so LUCKY to have you!

:)

- Jennifer

Unknown said...

Hip Hip Horray!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com