Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Nothing to say but I'm saying it anyway

I just had a tea party with Anna and Kaitlyn.

This afternoon the kids and I are going to a birthday party. At a park. It is GORGEOUS in Denver right now, LOVing the weather!

Kevin's been at an engineering conference all week up in Longmont. (He just drives back and forth each day.) He was actually one of the presenters. Today is the last day. He didn't come home until 7 pm Monday night...that was too long of a day for this mama! I'm so spoiled living here as Kevin typically gets home around 4:30 each day.

My in-laws just left to go back to California this morning as they'd been visiting since Friday. My kids miss them already!

I'm still undecided on curriculum for Anna's schooling next year. Do I go with FIAR and then Story of the World/WTM or do I scrap those choices and do Sonlight (using the library and only buying the instructor's guide) instead? I might just be the world's most indecisive person.

I am behind in my reading/homework for the class Kevin and I are taking through church. This will prove to be one busy weekend!

A sweet friend just emailed me a recipe for homemade Candy Cane Joe Joes. OH YEAH. Can't WAIT to make them!

My sister-in-law Facebooked yesterday about drinking Dr. Pepper. Ever since then I've been wanting some. I LOVE Dr. Pepper. (And you're right Rachel, it's WAY better out of a can than a bottle! It's good out of the soda fountain too.)

12 comments:

Sarah Griffin said...

have you heard of COVA for curriculum? it's through the public schools system and its FREE, I believe they even supply a computer for the kids...
http://www.k12.com/cova/

Brianna Heldt said...

Thanks Sarah, I have indeed heard of it. I think I've narrowed our choices down to Sonlight and SOTW/WTM. Whatever we do it'll definitely be literature-based (as opposed to textbooks, etc.)

Hope you're doing well!

Rachel said...

Uho h, I mentioned tequila in my 7am entry. I hope that wasn't part of your tea party :) If it makes you feel better, it is DIET Dr. Pepper. And I am about to have one as part of my daily naptime ritual.

Brianna Heldt said...

rachel HA! i read that entry, and while that marinade sounds delightful, plain old tequila does not! (though a margarita wouldn't be so bad...maybe we can have tea time again tomorrow???)

diet or regular, it doesn't matter. :) b/c i don't like to have too much caffeine, and they only make DIET caffeine-free, i'm down with it. next time i'm at the store i'm gonna buy me some. and i'll think of you when i drink it!

Joshua and Lydia Rich said...

Have you guys considered unschooling? The books used for sonlight are great but I would never use their curriculum (ironically, I used to work for them for in curriculum development). We are going the unschooling route and so far LOVE it (although my oldest is only 4...we'll see what happens in years to come!)

Amber said...

Thanks for the mini shout out! I really want to know how good the homemade Jo-Jo's turn out. I can't wait to try them next holiday season as I LOVE peppermint too. Glad to hear the weather is treating you well. ;-)

Brianna Heldt said...

joshua and lydia rich, there are elements of unschooling that i love, and we definitely plan to take a "natural" approach to school. but i do need a little more structure than unschooling would afford us i think. (though not necessarily as much as is in Sonlight.)

Priscilla Rynning said...

okay, so could you please email ME the recipe for candy cane joe joe's I looked on your friends blog, but I couldn't find it

Anonymous said...

What's WTM? My sleep-deprived brain can't figure that one out. But we loved FIAR. Perfect for a kindergartner. SOTW, though? That's a dry read. My 3rd grader is "OK" with it, but getting Tyler (1st gr.) to pay attention AND comprehend is difficult. It was not on the kinder list of curriculum at SLOCA. Not sure about Sonlight, but I hear their book choices are great. Well, I'm not much help, so I'll go. :)

MoonDog said...

dont worry too much about choosing because no matter what you choose you may find you dont like it or it isnt the right choice for your child. dont spend too much at first, maybe you can find something on ebay or from a friend to borrow and just try it out a bit. I know I am SOOOOOO reading based and writing based and my kids are totally NOT! but what did I buy? READING AND WRITING BASED! they hated it. trial and error is not a bad thing so dont feel bad if you find that your choices arent working out.

joy said...

for what it's worth--i love FIAR, but I don't know much about the other ones and we've only been doing this for a matter of months. for me, i like how it's all layed out and relates to the story each week and the books are such great books. abraham has been in love with most of the stories each week, too.

Brianna Heldt said...

thanks for the input! penny WTM stands for "well trained mind", the book by jessie wise and susan wise bauer. i agree SOTW has the potential to be dry, tho i thought maybe it would be a good "spine" for the chronological study of history. (WTM recommends using it that way and then supplementing with books related to whatever the topic is. i would start it in 1st grade.)

basically sonlight has come up with a curriculum that is lit based but it doesn't teach history chronologically. also it is very structured, which some like, and some don't. the books they use in their curriculum are excellent.

penny what do you use for history????

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com