Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Prayer

I think prayer is really interesting. The idea that we can somehow play a role in the mysterious plans of God is...crazy and amazing all at once.

One of my favorite books on prayer is by CS Lewis, Letters to Malcolm, Chiefly on Prayer. LOVE it.

A few months ago I felt convicted to begin praying boldly for something: for two children we know of (who have some medical needs) to find a family. I don't usually do that--I guess I mostly just pray for things like my kids to have a good day, or to feel better, or for me to have more patience etc. But this had been weighing on my heart, so we pray daily for it.

This morning with no prompting, Anna, Yosef, Biniam and Kaitlyn each prayed for these children. In their minds, nothing--NOTHING--is too big for God. Praying that orphans find a home is no different than praying we'll have a good day, or that Mary will get over her cold.

I really want that kind of faith. I keep reminding myself that although I'm not certain what God's answer to our prayers is yet, He is working. Meanwhile our faith is being built and strengthened, and that's always a good thing.

Is there anything that you pray about that feels just-too-huge?

For me, prayer means launching out of the heart toward God; a cry of grateful love from the crest of joy or the trough of despair; it is a vast, supernatural force that opens out my heart, and binds me close to Jesus.
--Saint Therese of Lisieux

5 comments:

Kristen Borland said...

oh yes. but God is 'huger'. thank you for the reminder!

_ said...

I've been looking for a good book on prayer. Maybe I'll try this one! :)

joy said...

there are many things that seem huge--my friend battling breast cancer, another friend who will need an organ transplant one day, my children's salvation--all huge things at one time or another. but, God is bigger than all of these things and it is a privilege to fall on my knees before Him, sometimes in desperation, sometimes in joy, sometimes with hope, or sometimes with anger--it is a privilege to come before Him and lay it all out. whew! that was a long comment. sorry.

Brianna Heldt said...

Joy I always love your comments! You're so right, God IS bigger than all of it. I like how you said it is a priviledge. Sometimes I forget that.

From Diapers To Dorms said...

One of our current foster kiddos is a big believer. She talks about God a lot and has such amazing faith for such a little girl. We were driving around in the mountains the other day and she looked around, paused and commented about how the area was so beautiful and it looked like heaven. Yesterday she asked me if God talks to me or if I talk to God, after which she mentioned all the conversations she has with God. Then there are the religious funnies (as I have come to call them) like what she said today at lunch. She said out of nowhere, "Oh so does God make all the food?" to which I replied with something about how everyone is entitled to their own opinions on things and how some feel that God plants talents in people and how some people's talents are making the food we eat, so yes in that way God does make the food. She said "yeah, except for strawberry yogurt. God doesn't make that. People do". It was too funny!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com