Thursday, March 18, 2010

Life that is lived

Today I'm thinking a little bit about life. I know so.many.people. who are struggling through various things right now, both friends and extended family members. It is heartbreaking. You wish you could fix it, but let's face it, you can't.

One thing I'm pondering is that no one, and I mean no one, escapes pain in this life. We can do our best to protect ourselves, shield our children, and take the safe path...but at the end of the day...there is still hurt, disappointment, loss, anxiety, illness, grief. Even if you somehow manage to put up walls to avoid those things, THAT in and of itself is a loss. Because then you're not really LIVING.

There's this pesky little question that's been raised various times in our lives: Do we sit in our little house with the shades drawn, pretending not to hear or see God at work in our hearts and minds...or do we abandon our need for control and seek God's very face, laying down our hearts/lives/finances/expectations/idols for His ways, which we know are so much better than our own?

The truth is, we cannot avoid life. No matter how methodically we work to carve out a sterile existence, there will still be pain. Loved ones fall ill. People will fail us. There will be days (years?) we feel overwhelmed. BUT. Jesus said that He came to give us life, and life abundantly. Even when life hurts, it is still life. Which means there is beauty and joy to be found amdist the ashes of brokenness, and we know that we are being perfected and made more like Jesus.

Pretty remarkable that no matter what befalls us, God is there comforting and changing and redeeming. I know this is a really random post, but I've been mulling these things over lately as we make decisions that involve some unknowns and what are sure to be some big challenges. (More on all of that soon, I promise.) I so want to commit to seeking the joy and beauty woven throughout the sorrow...and that when I can't see it, I'll trust.

I don't know about you, but I want to LIVE. Come what may. No matter the cost.

10 comments:

Jeannett said...

Live on girl! Ditto your thoughts. So easy to say, so hard to do! Love you!

Larissa said...

I just finished reading "Jesus for President" by Shane Claiborne. What you just said is pretty much what the book is about.
I desire Jesus' Life Abundant SO much. Sometimes it seems the way is blocked...maybe it is, by my own walls I've put up. Hmmm....

I am Katy, said...

This is what I'm learning lately too. I want to be real so that I'm not just getting by, but so that I'm living a life that God is truly working through and can be glorified by, in the good times and especially in trials. My biggest barriers are pride and selfishness. But, he's working in me and I have hope that eventually he'll be working through me for His glory.

Tracy Regusci said...

Thank you for your random post today. These were the words I needed to read today. Your blog is so inspiring to me.

Rogers Camp said...

Thought provoking post! I can't wait to hear more about your BIG decision you are praying about. God bless you abundantly:)

Joanie said...

So right at the heart of it, Brianna (With the cool new signature). I feel weird when I ask God to spare my kids pain, because that would be sparing them growth. But I'm their mommy so I pray it anyway. And yet, they already think to deeply to end up shallow, and who am I to hold back the hand of God. I think about this as I contemplate foster parenting. There would be unbelievable heartbreak, true, but unbelievable 10,000 other wonderful things that I don't even have words for. Great post!

Unknown said...

amen!

and...i love the latest new blog look. the scalloped edges are too cute, and love those funky flowers...so spring!

Connie said...

Your post was just what I needed today. I thank you for sharing and "witnessing" to fellow bloggers. Your thoughts and testimony are a Christian witness in times when hardship, sorrow, and life's problems just some days seem overwelming.

joy said...

yes, yes, yes! i've been thinking about some of the same things and it is harder to do than i think it should be. seriously, why is it so hard to live FOR God and not just with Him? no time to write more :)

Brianna Heldt said...

joanie i didn't know you guys were thinking about foster care. i'd love to hear more sometime! God's work for sure.

angela thanks! (i was so NOT a fan of the scalloped edges but unforutnately i don't know html well enough to get rid of 'em! ha!)

hi connie, it's great to "meet" you. :) thanks for the comment. i feel like so often i forget that life will be tough. right now i know so many who are suffering that i'm very aware that yes, it will be hard sometimes. in some ways it's very freeing living in light of that, i think. but obviously difficult too.

joy i don't know! it is SO HARD for me too.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com