Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Out

We spent Father's Day with family this year and got to swim, too.  Pool-time apparently coincided with nap-time, as Mary Lu fell asleep in this little flotation device not too long after getting in.  So, so sweet.

Naptime at our house is different than it used to be.  When my three oldest kids were younger, I had a glorious, silent two-hour window in the middle of the day.  No one needed me.  I could sleep myself if I wanted to.  Bliss.

Now, Mary is my only daily napper.  We do observe "quiet time", yet I miss the days of yore in certain ways, when everyone in the house was sleeping, except for me.  (Well, sometimes I was too!)

I think we'll probably always try to have some sort of scheduled down-time in the middle of the day, when we're home.  Doesn't matter how old you are, it's nice to have some peace and quiet and time to just "be."  Whether it's spent reading, quietly playing alone, watching a movie, or just resting, I'm a huge fan of a good old-fashioned, mid-afternoon siesta.

Because I figure if it's good for Mary Lu, it must be good for all of us!








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, those pics are darling! I absolutely agree with having some "down time" in the middle of the day. Even with older kids. I feel like it's not only a good break for everyone, but it teaches children that they don't need outside stimulation every moment of the day.

We live in a society where I feel like people are almost taught to fear being alone and/or having time to reflect...it's like we must go, go, go all the time to be considered "productive" or something. Sorry for the long comment, but I feel passionately about this! I grew up having a lot of down time and I love that I am content, as an adult, to just sit and daydream, think, etc.

Sarah S.

Brianna Heldt said...

Sarah YES! I could not agree more. I too am a big believer in trying to fight against the "entertain me" culture that we live in.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com